Contemporary Cuisine - Vin Room West Edition
Our third FDC 104 Contemporary Cuisine class was at Vin Room West, the suburban offshoot of the popular wine and tapas bar in Mission. Vin Room West offers over 100 wines, which you can sample by the ounce or the glass.The Dutcher Crossing Proprietor’s Reserve Syrah was lovely!
Our menu of the night consisted of the following:
- Grilled Humboldt squid with avocado puree and pico de gallo
- Paprika prawns with romesco sauce and salsa verde
- Lamb merguez meatballs with harissa and mint yogurt
- Grilled flatiron steak with barley risotto, bacon, butternut squash and goat cheese
- Pan roasted steelhead trout with frisee salad, almonds, golden beets, roasted mushrooms, brown butter
- Duck and white bean cassoulet with tomatoes, duck confit and bacon
- A selection of house made desserts (S’more, lemon tart, panna cotta)
My favourite dishes were the barley risotto with butternut squash, bacon and goat cheese and the lamb merguez meatballs. The service was a bit less organized than we would have liked (we were a large group), but I’m sure this can be refined in the future. The space itself is beautiful with lots of potential.
More information on the course can be found here.
"Visit the most cutting-edge restaurants in Calgary on this five-week exploration of contemporary cuisine. We’ll taste the new trends, sample the latest ingredients, and see what the most creative chefs are cooking. Each meal is an additional $30, including GST and gratuity, and is paid directly to the restaurant."
- Source: foodstyleaholic.com